The Yale Bulldogs Racing team built a gas-electric hybrid racecar that won first place at the 2013 Formula Hybrid International competition.
I worked on low-voltage electronics, and wrote large portions of the code for the Arduino microcontroller (Github link) that handled functions like:
- core driving functions: mapping the gas pedal to the throttle, activating the brake light
- displaying data to the driver on a control panel
- managing a power-saving “endurance mode”
- monitoring the high voltage battery system
- wirelessly sending telemetry data
- safety cutoffs in dangerous situations